Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Why some opt for a Big Mac and miss out on local cuisine


An article in my beloved Economist: "The Charm of the Chain" tells us how people find familiarity in standardized food while they are away from home. This makes me question, what's the fun? Isn't traveling all about experimenting?

PS:
I go into a Mc Donald's to get a feel of the city's prices using the Big Mac Index
which the Economist deveoped.

PS2: I have to confess that a recent trip made me seek the comfort of Mc Donald's and Nero's, bad food can really mess up your mood!


3 comments:

Mo-ha-med said...

I had a conversation on that very topic two weeks ago (with Karim, actually) as we watched those tourists go to Hardee's for a hamburger.

I can understand someone opting for something 'safe' if they are in a country whose staple dish is grilled cockroaches or something; or if one particularly hates spices often used in the local cuisine.

But past that, I just feel sorry for them.
"Yeah, i had a great time in (insert country), I ate at McDonald's, drank Diet Pepsi, listened to my MP3 player and did some shopping in a big western mall, and went to a house party with some expats of my country that I met when I had a beer in the lobby of a fancy hotel. Awesome country, I tell ya', so exotic."

Inji said...

Had the exact conversation with a friend in my summer course of how main streets in all capitals are very similar with all the chains and the whole set-up.

My rule: if the restaurant's menu has picture, DON'T GO THERE!

Mo-ha-med said...

Agree on the photo rule. Unless it is fully written in a foreign language. Then it's halal.
:)