Sunday, May 24, 2009

Retiring in Asilah

I'm thinking about my own retirement those days (maybe related to my slow productivity with summertime).
I think I'll be going off to a town on a hill somewhere, maybe Asilah in Morocco.
Now, when I swing from euphoria to stupor to just plain pain, cling on to things and then never get to keep them, my consolation is that one day I'll be an old lady. An old lady with a full life and stories to tell in a house on the hill where I would cook for those who escape the city for the weekend and tell them not to take life too seriously. To reassure them that nothing matters but the small moments, like this moment when we are sipping coffee on my balcony and truly bonding.
I'll tell them that at times where I risked breaking my neck or at times when gold dust slipped through my fingers, I cried, but that I know only remember the thrill of the chase and how I didn't crack under all the pressure. I'll tell them that at times when I worked my ass off and sprained my ankle running, I got there, but the euphoria lasted about 15 minutes after crossing the finish line.
That all throughout, what mattered was a mars chocolate bar from his backpack, a day at the beach with the girls, a hand in the small of my back while we're dancing the night away, the making-up after the fights, friends' consolation after loss, the no-number on my phone's screen and then time after time the familiar voice, communicating without words, analyzing drawings, singing at the top of our lungs, conversations on the train that last all the way from Cairo to Alexandria, guessing that someone will like a song or a movie and finding they already do, a call from a friend sharing updates on their new crush, starry nights on my friend's rooftop smoking mint slims, cooking a good meal for the family, surprise birthday parties, cards we make for tearfull farewells, 2 page emails, epiphanies, planning a new trip and above all, a good cup of coffee on this Balcony on a Saturday morning.

I think that more than retirement itself, I long for the wisdom that comes with retirement. This is the place where I will tell my story (Asilah, Morocco).

Note1: the story of the old lady is inspired by a real old lady who lives in the hills near Alicante, I never met her, C&M did.

Note2: the moments are best described by my friend K.R. in a new year email he sent to all of us, wishing us more similar
moments.
Also my friend J.D. describes herself as "a collector of moments".


Note3: After writing this, I watched the movie Waking Life:
-"I keep thinking about something you said.
-- Something I said?
- Yeah.
-About how you often feel like you're observing your life...from the perspective of an old woman about to die.
-- You remember that?
- Yeah. I still feel that way sometimes.Like I'm looking back on my life. Like my waking life is her memories."

Note 4: few weeks after writing this, I came upon a blogpost where a girl is telling her stories long before retirement, made me smile :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guapa! That was BEAUTIFUL! Sooo you!!!

Made me realize how long it's been since I've seen you last and how much I miss you!

Inji said...

well you can come visit me in my real balcony anytime :), coffee and baked goodies!

Unknown said...

This truly is beautiful. It will be a great time when we all retire and laugh the years away.. and I'm sure you'll have many many unique stories to tell.

Inji said...

If I were to choose retirement buddies I choose you girls :)

ألِف said...

I haven't been to Asilah, but so far my Moroccan town would be Essouira, with extended stays in Chef Chaoun where I was transformed one dawn 700 years back in time.

I was impressed by waking "Waking Life" too.

Inji said...

Mohamed Sibari, tells enchanting tales about the North of Morocco, particularly Chefchaouen, in the old days. He writes in Spanish, I'll ask if any translations have been out.

Unknown said...


thanks you for this post… great information.

Morocco Desert Tours