Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Volunteer vacations



Photo above: Médcins Sans Frontieres Ad, as published in my fav Lonely Planet magazinde.

My friend Veronica went to Togo and made an orphanage work, the girl can move mountains. You can read all about it at her blog and you can contribute too, Vero is spending every penny in the best way possible, none of the Aid money squandering.

I am fascinated by stories of grassroot projects that have worked, and I have stories to tell about initiatives that have failed because people went with all the good intentions but also with their own limited frame of reference, don't get me started . Aid is a most controversial topics, I could ramble on forever, so to spare you I encourage you to read The White Man's Burden instead.


Let me know if you want to volunteer somewhere and I'll try to link you to a decent NGO there if I know one (think there are a couple of helpful links on the right too).

4 comments:

Mo-ha-med said...

I might take you on that.
Until then - for God's sake, forget about the White Man's burden. It's Easterly's self-centered auto-back-patting manifesto. The previous book was better.

SEO Company said...

Your friend is so cool

Inji said...

Vero is no ordinary girl

Barcelona Apartments for Rent said...

I've seen Veronica's blog, but can`t find anything related to their humanitarian work